John W. Becker focuses his practice on defending self-insured employers and insurance carriers in Workers’ Compensation claims in New York. John has over five years of litigation experience in Workers’ Compensation, and regularly represents clients in depositions and trials before the New York State Workers’ Compensation Board.
John has extensive experience in representing a wide variety of clients, including retailers, manufacturers, distributors, gaming and hospitality entities, and construction companies. He focuses on a comprehensive approach to defending claims that involves open and regular communication between employers’ risk management teams, insurance carriers and third party administrators to ensure that all parties with an interest in the defense of any claim are in alignment regarding litigation and resolution strategies.
Prior to obtaining his license to practice law in New York, John’s experience included serving as a legislative assistant for a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives and in the American Petroleum Institute’s Office of General Counsel, where he advised on Environmental Protection Agency regulations and issues facing the oil and gas industry.
- Prevailing in a denied claim where the insurance carrier’s medical consult conceded that the injury was causally related to the alleged incident by discrediting the claimant at trial.
- Obtaining a reversal and disallowance on appeal of multiple claims asserted by a single claimant against a manufacturer through cross examination of the attending medical providers and overcoming the statutory presumption of the alleged injuries being work related.
- Successfully defending an occupational disease claim for a high exposure lumbar spine injury on statute of limitations grounds after an investigation into claimant’s medical history and the depositions of medical experts revealed that the claim was not timely filed.
- Securing the disallowance of a claim for thyroid cancer against an employer engaged in the use of x-ray machines in the manufacturing process.
Bar and Court Admissions
Villanova University School of Law | J.D., 2014
Washington University in St. Louis | B.A., 2010
News & Events
News & Events
- Feature, “Vaughan Baio Snags 9 From Goldberg Segalla, Grows In NY,” Law360, August 11, 2021
- Feature, “Phila. Boutique Takes 9-Lawyer Workers’ Comp Team From Goldberg Segalla to Lead NY Expansion,” The Legal Intelligencer, August 10, 2021
- Press Release, “Vaughan Baio & Partners Welcomes 9 New Attorneys in Two New Offices in NYS,” Vaughan Baio & Partners, August 10, 2021