Cindy Ringel has extensive experience representing companies, insurance carriers, third-party administrators, professional employer organizations, and public entities in all areas of labor and employment law, class action litigation, workers’ compensation, and transportation. She regularly defends claims in federal and state courts in New Jersey, New York and other jurisdictions, and before administrative agencies such as the Workers’ Compensation Board, Division of Unemployment Insurance, Department of Labor, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and National Labor Relations Board. She provides strategic representation aimed at limiting liability and business risks, including thorough pre-suit investigations, aggressive discovery tactics, consultation with industry experts, and exploration of early resolution programs. Cindy also counsels clients on employment and workers’ compensation laws, as well as matters involving the employer-employee relationship and independent contractor status to shield companies from liability on classification issues. She assists clients in preparing for and responding to governmental audits and investigations of their workplace, and provides representation throughout the process. Her services also include drafting and updating agreements, policies and procedures, and conducting training on a wide range of employment and non-employment issues.
Cindy approaches each case by conducting an in-depth analysis of the business operations and developing cost-effective strategies to minimize liability and remedy risk areas. She has earned a reputation for providing an aggressive defense and being a fierce negotiator to resolve disputes. Throughout her representation, she collaborates with clients to ensure that their overall business goals are met and maintains regular communication with management and claims professionals.
Recognition & Involvement
Cindy Ringel is an active speaker for several business organizations on emerging legal issues. She is a member of the bar association and industry trade associations where she serves as the liaison between business owners and legal professionals. She has been recognized by the community and school district for her leadership and volunteer efforts.
- Decision affirmed disallowing worker’s compensation claim filed in New York based on finding that trial testimony and evidence proffered on behalf of company satisfied all of the factors necessary to establish an independent contractor relationship, including lack of control over contractor’s services.
- Successfully established independent contractor defense resulting in dismissal of New Jersey worker’s compensation claim against national transportation company and limited exposure in class action litigation for alleged failure to pay minimum wage and overtime compensation.
- Achieved disallowance of New York workers’ compensation claim based on lack of employer-employee relationship between franchisee and franchisor.
- Working on behalf of major insurance carriers and global third-party administrators, successfully diverted dozens of workers’ compensation claims filed by contractors seeking benefits based on purported employment status to occupational policies.
- Successfully achieved summary judgment on behalf of employer, which was subsequently affirmed on appeal, after employee filed suit alleging claims of discrimination, constructive discharge, and demanding $1.2 million in damages. U.S. District Court’s decision published in Kirschling v. Atlantic City Board of Education.
- Obtained partial summary judgment where employee claimed to have been subjected to race discrimination and retaliation in violation of the Conscientious Employee Protection Act and unanimous trial verdict was rendered on behalf of all remaining defendants.
- Secured summary dismissal of plaintiff’s claims against employer alleging discrimination based on national origin.
- Achieved defense verdict in a whistleblower claim brought by company’s former comptroller.
Bar and Court Admissions
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
Seton Hall Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1996
Ohio University, B.A., cum laude, 1992